On 25 March 1899 in Parowan, Utah Daniel Brown was born the sixth child (third son) of Collins Warren Clark [RIN 9739] and Sarah Rozalia Gecosea Brown. His father was a cattle and sheep rancher. Both his father and mother were born and raised in Parowan.
Tragedy hit the family very early. On 8 July 1902 shortly after Danielís third birthday, his father was killed when he was kicked in the stomach by a horse. His mother was left as a 34 year old widow with seven young children: Kenneth (13), Hazel (12), Earl (9), Gladys (7), Ramona (5), Daniel (3) and Collins (2 months).
The stress must have taken a toll on Sarah, for only 3 years after Collins passed away, she passed away from pneumonia on 8 July 1905. This left seven orphans. Collins (3) the youngest was taken care of by his uncle Egdar and later adopted by Isaac and May Higbee. Daniel (6) and Ramona (8) were adopted by John Urie Jr. and Violet Wilson Lunt of Cedar City. They were a couple that couldnít have children. Violet was the daughter of Henry Lunt who was one of the first settlers in Cedar City. The oldest four, Kenneth (16), Hazel (15), Earl (12) and Gladys (10), took care of themselves.
Daniel did his primary and secondary school in Cedar City. He had Maddie Booth as a first grade teacher. His oldest son, Donald, also had Maddie as a first grade teacher.
Daniel went on a mission to North Eastern States in his early twenties. He served under President B. H. Roberts. He was a very active missionary. He wrote letters to the local newspaper, was a district leader and was thrown in jail.
After Daniel returned home from his mission he went to Brigham Young University. At the time he was there he was considering a law degree. He was there but a few years before he returned home to ranching.
He moved back to Cedar City to ranch with his father. He met Leona Gudmundson when she came to Cedar City to teach school. They had a mutual friend, Jessie Alleman, who had served a missionary with Dan. Dan and Leona got engaged in 1926 and were married in the St. George temple on 10 May 1927.
They had four children born to them: Donald D. (1928), John Calvert (1932); Howard Dexter (1934) and Malcolm G. (1936).
He ranched most of the time in Utah and Nevada except for a short stint as a Cedar City police officer after he was married.
In 1930 made a deal with Adams-McGill Company for a sheep ranch with a summer range in the mountains east of Ely, Nevada. Dan worked the ranch and lived in the Ely area while Leona and the children lived in Cedar City. During the summer when Leona was teaching and the children were out of school, they would stay at the house at Success Minear Ely.
He had large sheep herds. Donald said that he remembered when his father was ranching six sheep herds. Each herd would have around 1500 to 2000 sheep depending on if they were lambing. Sheeping was a lot of work. There was shearing, separating the lambs during the lambing season. They would use horses and dogs to herd the sheep. The herd would always have a jackass that would graze with the sheep. It was used for carrying supplies as they moved the herd. They would brand the sheep with a box T. The brand was painted on the wool and had to be repainted after every sheering.
Coyotes were always a problem with the sheep. They would hunt the coyotes or bait and poison the coyotes. Some years there would be a bounty on the coyote hide.
Besides the sheep, he also ranched cattle. The brand for the cattle was CA that was applied with hot iron brand. Most of the time he leased and owned land up on Ward Mountain by Lund. He would run his sheep from Lund to Ward Mountain to northwest of Ruth. Mostly he ranched sheep in the summer east of Ely in the Steptoe Creek and Duck Creek arm.
The ranch that Dan lived in Lund was the same ranch where Donald and Donna lived after they were married. Donald remembers living there during the summer of his fifth grade year.
In May of 1943 the family was back together in Ely. They lived at 1032 Avenue G. In 1947 the family moved two blocks south to 1013 Avenue I.
Dan and Leona were divorced in 1956. He later remarried Ruby.
Daniel Brown Clark died 23 July 1968 in Phoenix, Arizona. He was buried in Ely.
Settlement began on 11 November 1851 with the arrival of a group of
thirty-five men from Parowan, twenty miles northward, to establish an
iron works. They were organized and traveled in two militia companies--a
foot company and a cavalry company--under the direction of Major Matthew
Carruthers and Captains Henry Lunt and Peter M. Fife. Captain Lunt was
acting commander as Major Carruthers was temporarily detained in
Parowan. The actual settlement site on the north bank of Coal Creek had
been selected a week earlier by George A. Smith and a committee
consisting of Matthew Carruthers, Henry Lunt, William C. Mitchell, John
L. Smith, and Elisha H. Groves.
Small cottonwood log houses were built fort-style at the western base of the hill, the crest of which now supports the microwave television and other electronic communications equipment serving the Cedar City area. The settlement was given the name of Fort Cedar because of the abundance of trees which were called "cedar" trees, although technically they are junipers.
 Settlement of the White River Valley progressed during the 1870s when isolated homesteads appeared, generally associated with meadows where water supply was available. During the early 1900s, W. E. McGill and J. W. Adams formed the Adams-McGill Company, and successfully ranched nearly 100,000 acres of land in the area for several decades. http://ndow.org/about/pubs/pdf/wma_kirch.pdf
Last updated Wednesday, December 23, 2009